Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful

I don't normally post about people outside of my family, but we recently lost someone very special to us. Last year, one of our good friends was diagnosed with brain cancer.  After a hard-fought battle, we lost him last month. I know we didn't visit enough, or call enough, or spend enough time telling Marv how much we loved him. But we tried.

Earlier this fall, David and Morgan stopped by to see Marv and Kitty.  Marv was in a wheelchair in the driveway, too weak to walk or stand. As they approached him, Morgan stopped and gasped, "Oh Marv, you look like you're almost ready to go to heaven." Marv looked at her and smiled, "Well, I'm working on it."  Two weeks later, he was gone. After 47 years together, Kitty will spend will spend her first Thanksgiving without him.

As we sit down to enjoy our turkey and stuffing, I will be thankful.  I will be thankful that I have a family to share the day with, thankful that we are all here to gather together, and thankful for the wonderful people who are a part of our lives. And I will be just a little bit heartbroken that Marv's not at the table this year. 


No comments: