Tuesday, March 31, 2015

You've Got to Move It

In the highly unlikely event that you haven't noticed, I am what you might call "sturdy."  In graduate school, one of my classmates referred to me as the "husky mountain girl"- offensive, but true. Plus, we both knew I could kick his ass in a heart beat. I am such a lady.

Despite my extra padding, I live an active life. I go to the gym, I try to hit my 10,000 steps each day, and I generally avoid putting foods in my body that have an ingredient list I can't pronounce (except for when I'm pregnant and Hot Tamales are involved. They call to me). As part of those efforts, I also look for opportunities to be active with Morgan. Whether it's riding bikes, swimming at the Y, or playing soccer in the backyard, we are always "doing." 

Last summer, I invited Morgan to participate in her first 5k with me. It was more fun than athletic, but it was still just over 3 miles of movement among thousands of other people who were crazy enough to get up at dawn and head outside. We had a great day, and she ran like a champ. What I didn't recognize, however, was the lasting impression those few hours would make on her.

Just a few weeks ago, Morgan's teacher sent home her most recent report card. Her packet was full of work samples, including math, science and writing. As I proudly perused its contents, I encountered Morgan's most recent writing sample. Her class is working on more complex narratives, complete with illustrations. 



To say I was shocked is an understatement. We ran the Color Run last summer, and it's something we rarely talk about. In fact, I had contemplated not doing it again this year. But as I read her words, I couldn't help but reconsider. In just a few short sentences, Morgan had captured everything about not only that day, but the types of memories I am trying to build with her. And it worked. With the most pure of insight, Morgan was able to reflect on being outside, being together, and being healthy. Maybe, just maybe, I am not going to completely screw this kid up after all.

No comments: