Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Winning

Let me go ahead and disclose that I already know that these might be the single worst photos I have ever posted on my blog, which is saying a lot because my photos are usually terrible. None of that matters. However blurry or grainy, these photos represent one of the most important days of my daughter's life. Girlfriend can now swim. I am not going to suggest it's pretty or graceful, but it involves her holding her breath, flailing limbs, and an official Speedo swimsuit because, "That is what they wear at the Olympics, right Mom?"

You may remember a few weeks ago, when Morgan crossed swimming lessons off her summer to-do list. Well, at 40 bucks a pop, David and I put it right back on the list. My goal for her first official class was just to get her comfortable enough to put her face in the water. By setting the bar low (a standard practice at our house), no one would be disappointed. 

What I quickly learned is that by constantly underestimating your child, you will always be impressed by each and every milestone. For example, it was full on shock and awe when Morgan literally took to the water like a little spastic fish, throwing herself into the pool time after time. She tried floating, she trying sinking, she even tried pushing over two little boys who were directly in her way. Whatever, their swim diapers were totally slowing them down.





After about 15 minutes of "practicing," Morgan was ready for the main event. It may have only lasted 30 seconds, but it was a lifetime of accomplishment. She spent the next hour testing herself, trying to stay underwater longer, swim a little further, grin a little bigger. I spent the entire time cheering on the sidelines, acting like Morgan was the last leg of the 400 Meter relay.


At the end of our class, Morgan earned her first set of flippers. We get to shell out another 40 bucks for the next class, Morgan gets to earn another ribbon, and I get the satisfaction of (yet again) being so very impressed by my daughter. You amaze me, baby girl. Now let's go get you some goggles.

No comments: