Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Graduation

August was a big month at our house, the biggest yet. Morgan turned five and then started kindergarten within the same week. I want to talk about both of these days and reflect on how deeply these two milestones have affected me. But I can't. Not without my chest tightening, not without my breath catching, not without the panicked realization that my most favorite little person isn't quite so little any more. In the truest form of denial, I will instead talk about something that happened three months ago...my baby graduated from pre-school.
 
On May 31, 2013, the graduating class of New Horizon Academy was presented. In little tiny caps and gowns, with little tiny diplomas, and huge, huge, grins.

They all recited the Pledge of Allegiance - or at least moved their mouths to make it look like they knew the words.

The teachers talked about how proud they were, conveniently glossing over the fact that several kids still weren't potty trained and one little boy refused to wear his gown, opting instead for his Spiderman costume.



And then it was time for the commencement speeches. Unbeknownst to the parents, the class had been preparing a few remarks that outlined each of their life's ambitions. Morgan was the first to speak, confidently taking the microphone. "Hi, my name is Morgan Lorenzo and I am four years old. When I grow up, I want to be a cheerleader." Yep, that was it. A cheerleader.
 

It took all but a few seconds before the entire audience was chuckling. Morgan paused briefly, unsure of how to react. But then she realized that it didn't matter who was laughing, it was her moment. And she was beaming. Yep, she's gonna make one hell of a cheerleader.

No comments: