Sunday, June 14, 2015

Whoa

I haven't posted in six weeks. Not because I have nothing to say, but because showering has once again become a luxury. I have so many emotions about having another baby. About being the mother of two daughters. About being a family of four. But those thoughts are for another post. I'm just too damn tired to be sappy.

Clara Josephine Lorenzo joined our family on May 4, 2015 at 1:43 am. She weighed in at 7 lbs 2 oz and measured 20 inches long. After a quick and relatively easy labor, girlfriend was born screaming bloody murder, just like her big sister was six years prior. I will spare you the details of my delivery, other than to boast that I was able to bring Clara into the world without an epidural and without cursing my husband a single time. I can barely get through a Tuesday without doing that. 

 Needless to say, we were instantly smitten. Morgan was enamored, immediately embracing her new role as a big sister. In those first few moments, I wanted nothing more than to soak in their blossoming relationship. But it was almost 3:00 in the morning and I really needed a cheeseburger and a glass of wine. Unfortunately, I got neither of those things. By this time, the hospital kitchen was closed, and Red Robin had quit making fries hours ago. I sent our nurse on a scavenger hunt (I am pretty sure she rifled through the staff fridge), and she returned with some string cheese, an apple, and a bag of Baked Lays. Close enough.

Later that morning, Clara got her first bath. She returned pink and round and perfect. Because I had such a fast delivery, Clara's features didn't have time to become horrifyingly distorted. When Morgan was born, she looked like a prize fighter. A fighter on the losing end of the match. The hospital still made us take her home. 

By the time Wednesday morning rolled around, we were all ready to be discharged. Although I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the hospital and its staff, my room was a revolving door of activity. Between the hearing screening, the nursing staff and the hospital photographer, the only time I got any rest was when I locked myself in the bathroom. Not surprisingly, that trend continued when we got home. It now takes me 27 minutes to pee. Just ask David.


The thing about newborns is that they are super misleading. They sleep so much in the beginning that they lull you into thinking that having another kid will actually be easy. As it had been more than six years since I had a newborn in the house, I very quickly fell into this trap. 

As you may recall, I went back to school a few years ago. I took a class this semester, and my final was very stupidly strategically due on the same day as Clara. I was optimistic it would all fall together beautifully. Of course I was wrong. Clara was born on Monday, and my final was due on Thursday. My professor offered to give me an extension, but I knew better. Eventually, that baby was going to wake up and expect me to parent her. My days with a sleepy baby were numbered, so I might as well use that time while I had it. 

So there I was, freshly discharged from the hospital, burping a newborn, typing a paper, and trying to help Morgan figure out what the hell happened to one of her Legos. Baptism by fire, check.



As we embark on this adventure, I really am trying to appreciate every fleeting moment, no matter how challenging or how exhausting. Because we are definitely, definitely not doing this again.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Ohhh I can still see that precious baby Clara, her big (proud) sister Morgan and two adoring parents!!! Now little Clara is turning 4 in just a couple of weeks. Smart, beautiful, and so adorable are just a few ways to describe her! Morgan is and always will be the sweetest big sister! She is also one of a kind. Her beauty is unmatched with her looks and big heart. She knows more than a 10+ year old should. What a wonderful family you and David have made! We are so proud and full of love!

Love, Your Mom