Friday, August 3, 2012

Girls Gone Wild

They say that men are more likely to keep friendships from childhood (something about being too lazy to invest in new relationships as they get older), while women make friends throughout their lives.  I, however, have been lucky enough to have several friends who have known me long enough to remember breaking curfews,  boys with loud cars, and underage drinking.  I guess what I'm saying is that I have friends who know enough about me to prevent me from ever running for public office. 

We spent some time with one of these friends last weekend.  Sonia and I have been friends for as long as I can remember.  We have weathered so many adventures that the stories often run together.  So much of our friendship has involved naughtiness that we generally can't talk about our adolescence in front of our kids...or our husbands.  One of the things I love most about Sonia is that she is full on crazy-she is loud, impulsive, and passionate about EVERYTHING.  Oh yeah, and totally irrational.  I don't know what I would do without her. 

So while she was here, we planned a night of debauchery.  To legitimize our activities, we started out with a family barbecue.  We had dinner and everyone played some backyard games.  In Idaho, we call it a beanbag toss, but I have recently been informed that it's really supposed to be called "corn hole" -- yeah, weird.











Before we headed out, I decided to take a few pictures of her children, you know, for posterity.  When I asked them to give me their best crazy face, they more than obliged. No wonder I like those kids -



We also tried to get a few pictures of ourselves. When we decided that we both looked too chubby and too haggard to pull off anything legitimate, I decided to go for something that more closely resembled a really awkward JcPenney portrait. And yes, that is my husband in the bushes.

When it was all said and done, we didn't end up leaving my house until almost 11:30.  Every bar we tried to go to was closed and we couldn't find a drink to save our lives.  We end up on the back patio of a local hole in the wall, where the bartender gave us exactly 50 minutes to drink our drinks and get out. 

As we climbed back into my car, ready to find trouble, Sonia got a text from her daughter, asking where we were.  I had to laugh, as it looked like we were breaking curfew again, except this time, we had our kids to keep us in check.  So we headed to Walgreens, bought some Cinderella pull-ups for Morgan, and called it a night. 

No comments: