Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Watching Over

Our dog Grace died last summer, almost exactly one year ago. She was old but it was still extremely sad and very hard on David.  It was also Morgan's first experience with death and she has since become obsessed with the concept of dying.  She regularly tells strangers that our dog is dead and reminds people that when you die you can't eat any more.  Morgan also randomly brings up Grace at family functions and on holidays so I am not quite sure why this time caught me so off guard.

For the majority of our 4th of July, Morgan kept her hands over her ears.  David, on the other hand, was just super excited to be blowing things up.  You can't tell in this picture, but he has stuffed a firecracker into a soda can, which he then put inside a paper cup.  Super high tech.


I was skeptical.  He was joyous.


It was a dud. I was smug.

As the evening progressed, David quit trying to blow his own fingers off and we started to watch the ridiculous amount of illegal fireworks going off in our neighborhood.

Despite our repeated assurances, Morgan continued to be quite overwhelmed with all of the noise and flashing lights.  



Until she saw several large fireworks going off in the distance.

Out of no where, she looked up at me and asked, "Baby Grace is up in Heaven, right?" "Sure!" I replied, mostly confused as to how that related to what was going on.  And then she stood up and took her hands off her ears.  Waving widely at the sky, she began yelling, "Happy 4th of July, Baby Grace!!!"  As she looked to  me, not sure what to do next, I scooped her up and said, "Thank you, sweetheart.  I am sure she loved the show." And you know, I am sure she did.

No comments: